Spring Safety Checklist
Spring cleaning may not always be a fun job, but it is a chance for you to inspect your home to prevent any hazardous circumstances from occurring. So before you spend all your time outside, please review this spring home maintenance checklist:
- Repair driveways or walkways that are broken or have noticeable cracks to prevent unanticipated falls.
- Remove all dead trees and branches in your yard. Trim trees and hedges that may be disruptive to utility wires.
- Repair any damages made to your roof and clean any debris from your gutters to ensure they are weather resistant.
- Check indoor and outdoor electrical outlets, which are a potential fire hazard, for frayed wires. Do not overload outlets and extension cords as they can cause a shortage.
- Have a professional inspect your air conditioning system and replace the filter.
- Check your water heater for leaks and corrosion.
- Remove all lint and dust from your dryer exhaust duct.
- Check all light fixtures to ensure that they are in working condition. Be sure to use the correct wattage for any bulbs that need replacing to avoid over-heating.
- Store oil and gas safely in a vented and locked area.
- For any necessary interior painting, open all windows to avoid breathing in hazardous paint fumes.
- Inspect your fire extinguisher to ensure that it is full and operational. Store your fire extinguisher in a location where accessible.
- Test your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors once a month and have one located on every floor of your home. Batteries should be replaced twice a year or when needed.
As temperatures begin to rise, spring flooding becomes more of a concern to the average home owner. SecurTek’s monitored environmental systems can detect rising water sources before costly damage occurs. For more information on our water sensors or any other of our environmental solutions, please contact our Customer Care Centre at 1-877-777-7590. When you are away from home, SecurTek is there to protect what matters most to you.